Anantasana (Sanskrit: अनन्तासन; IAST: Anantāsana), Vishnu’s Couch Pose, Eternal One’s Pose, or Side-Reclining Leg Lift is an asana.
The name comes from the Sanskrit words anantā (अनन्त) meaning “without end” or “the infinite one”, derived from the name of the thousand-headed serpent Sesa upon which Vishnu rested at the bottom of the primordial ocean and Asana (आसन, Āsana) meaning “posture” or “seat”.
To get started with this type of asana follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. Lie down on your back in a straight position.
2. Turn towards your left-hand side.
3. Now lift up your right leg at a 90-degree angle. Place your left hand below your head in order to support it.
4. Raise your right hand up in the air and now try to catch the toes of your right leg with your fingers.
5. Stay in this position for about 20 seconds; count your breath and then release.
6. Slowly turn towards the other side and repeat the same activity on the right-hand side too.
7. Do not forget to count your breath every time you switch to a new position.
As a beginner, it would be difficult for you to balance your body in this position. But you can certainly take help and rest your body against the wall so that it helps you to get balance. Also, if you have neck pain problems, it would be advisable to consult a doctor, physiotherapist or a qualified yoga teacher.
1. Practicing this asana daily helps to tone your abdominal muscles.
2. It stretches the sides of your body and gives it a good massage.
3. This asana also strengthens armpits and shoulder muscles.
4. When you lie down on the left-hand side, the blood circulation in this area automatically gets stimulated.
5. Blood and oxygen circulation in your heart and brain increases.
6. In certain cases, practicing this asana regularly can help you and lessen back pain problems.
7. It even helps in improving your digestive system.
The best part about this asana is that not only kids but even elder people can practice this asana. Apart from the numerous physical benefits that it offers, Anatasana also helps you in getting rid of your mental stress. It helps in reducing stress-related disarrays like fatigue and depression.